World Christian Endeavor
Prayer Week 2018
Join Endeavorers around the World
A Message from the WCEU President
Welcome Everyone at the worldwide prayer-week of Christian Endeavor!
My mind was hopelessly searching for a Bible-passage to preach about on the first day of the year. I wanted to avoid degrading a Bible text into a pretext to hold a kind of program speech for the year, which reflects my mere human dreams, or simply wants to comply with the situation (i.e. beginning of the year). I thirsted for something that is free of my ambitions and/or of the bitterness I experienced in the recent past. And then I came across of this Bible-verse. It popped in my eyes from the front page of a little Christian magazine: “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” (Romans 12:12) It holds me in its grip ever since I met it for the last time. Now I wish this grip would not let me and You go!
After chapters 1-11 of the Epistle to the Romans, in which Paul describes the basics of the Christian faith (what do we believe), chapter 12 opens the description of Christian life (how we should live). Kind of Christian dos and don’ts. This little string of three admonitions is part of a longer one, and its parts are placed next to each other not by chance. Let’s try to understand and hear these admonitions putting them in a prayer list for Day #1 of this prayer-week!
Good to know: you’ve got brothers and sisters around the globe, praying with and for you! The more: whether you pray together in a group or pray alone, be sure: you are not alone, neither as a group, nor as an individual. You are assisted, because “the Spirit helps us in our weakness; … the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express; … the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.” (Romans 8:26-27)
Like this, You (group of or individual Endeavorer) may be the best present for the Christian Endeavor movement, on its 137th birthday!
Yours, in the need and hope of God’s grace,
Rev. Kálmán Adorján
Day 1: we give thanks!
A.We give thanks for the hope(in broader sense the gospel) given in Christ!
We give thanks for the richness of this hope, because it says, that
- God accepted us by his grace as his beloved sons and daughters in and because of Christ;
- Christ washed our sins away by his blood;
- God keeps us and protects us, holds our lives in his hands with a perseverant love;
- God has a plan for our lives. Many details of this plan may be hidden from our sight, yet we may be sure, that it is a plan “of peace and not of evil” (Jer29:11). His final goal is life everlasting: both in quality and length.
- Our certainty regarding the future hope rests on God and his fulfilled promises.
We pray for a growing understanding of the hope in Christ, as presented in the Scriptures.
We pray, that this richness may cause us rejoice in the Lord, which means:
- Nothing else above the riches of this hope could conquer and fill our hearts; No disappointment (unfulfilled hope) should diminish our joy.
- Our joy should be contagious, causing others to search for and find this hope.
- We pray for the unity of Christians in the hope.
B. Joyful hope is the source and motivation of our patience in afflictions. Patience is hard and meaningless, if there is no such hope.
We pray for patience, which means “remaining under the burden”, until God intervenes.
We pray for people afflicted by:
- inner temptations, weaknesses
- natural disasters
- damaged relationships
Christians under afflictions would persevere in their faith, bearing testimony to God’s unchanging love, upholding power.
If afflictions serve to our chastisement, we should humble ourselves and repent.
People who do not know God, would experience his power and love in Christ, and turn to him.
C. Paul’s third admonition is: “Be faithful in prayer.” Prayer shows best our need of, reliance on, our fellowship with God.
- We pray for our prayer-life: for faithfulness = steadfastness, perseverance, consciousness in prayer, because prayer is very frequently casualty #1 in our spiritual warfare. For this we need
- the certainty, that God is there, at the other end of the line;
- to know, that God himself asks us to come to him in prayer, and bring to him our thanks, requests, needs, wishes – everything, of which we may know, that He is already aware of;
- the heartfelt desire, that beyond presenting specific items on our prayer list, we communicate ourselves (“Pour out your hearts to him” – Psalm 62:8)
We pray that we might recognize
- things that distract us, divert our attention from God, his will and his purpose,
in everything what helps us to draw nearer to Him, love his will and follow his purpose.
Day 2: Pray for CE in Africa
2017 has been a great year for CE in Africa. CE group has been launched in Liberia, and I was able to re-connect with CE in Sierra Leone after many years of disconnection with the WCE. And at the end of December last year, a fellow from Guinine Bissau visited The Gambia, he was one of the young people I met when I visited there. We have discussed possibility of me going back to Bissau and have CE launch there too. I have also established a contact with a missionary Pastor who is from Togo but working in one of the regions in Senegal, he has also expressed desire to know more about CE and if possible to have CE both in that region of Senegal and his home country Togo.
Pray for all these contacts so that God could open new opportunity for the expansion of his kingdom.
The region of Africa has kick started a Leadership Academy Training for CE. It has started in Nigeria from 4-7 January 2018. We are using Nigeria as a spring board to other African countries in the region.
Peace Mark, one of the delegates who attended the Nigeria training has expressed interest to start a CE group in his country, Benin Republic.
There is a huge potential for the spread of CE in Africa. And there are many travels to be done within the region. But as VP I have some constraints or challenges to make some of these travels, this is due to limited funding for Africa VP. I am also doing a full time circular work to support my family.
Pray for me as I look for support to enable me to be in full time ministry, and able to travel to spread CE in the new regions.
WCEU VP Africa
Day 3: Pray for CE in the Americas
For the region of the Americas of WCEU
- Let’s pray for the strengthening of the efforts and processes of integration of CE in the region. From the World Convention of 2010 in Lima, WCEU has created integration spaces for CE national and denominational unions, through pastoral visits from the region vice-president and from the General Secretaries, and through EC Meetings: Mexico 2013, Guatemala 2015 and Peru 2017. Let’s pray for the strengthening of these spaces in the next years.
- Pray for the endeavorer that is going to take the vice-presidency for the region for the next four years. Let’s pray for the CE World Assembly, and the elections that will happen prior to the Convention in San Diego, this upcoming July.
- Let’s pray to start contact or reach back with churches that still have Christian Endeavor within their ministries, and for the churches where there was CE before but now it is missing.
For the CE in Peru
- Pray for Peru. One of the major problems that faces is the corruption in the political and economic scopes, where ex-presidents, politicians and businessmen are involved. Pray in favor of the processes of rights and justice, that they should not be silenced, but that it will reaffirm truth and justice – that will lead to peace.
- Pray for the Iglesia Evangélica Peruana, pioneer denomination of Protestantism in Peru, where CE is present since 1907. Pray for the pastors and ministers of this church. That God will give them wisdom and judgement to guide the church and the new generations in this new time of pluralism and cultural change.
- Pray for the new board of the Union of CE in Peru (DENEC), presided by the endeavorer Edgar Huaylla.
- Pray for the Societies of Christian Endeavor (SEC) and their mission of pastoral service to the youth in the local churches. At the same time, for the ministry of the Presbyterian unions or departments of CE (DEPEC).
- Pray for the integration and cooperation of the CEs in Lima, with the challenge of reaching with CE the almost 100 churches in Coast Synod.
- Let’s pray for the Iglesia Evangélica del Nor Oriente Peruano (IENOP, Evangelical Church of the Northwest of Peru), church and denomination where CE was present years ago, and where we have recently been back in contact with the pastors and leaders of that denomination.
- We had a meeting with the leaders of the Iglesia Evangélica Filadelfia (IEF, Evangelical Church Filadelfia), small denomination that brings together 20 churches in the central rainforest of Peru, where we have presented the principles and the youth ministry work that CE does and believes in. Let’s pray for the work and process that will start with two or three churches; this is the first step to establish CE in the IEF.
For the CE in Mexico
- Let’s pray for Mexico. One of the problems that faces is the violence, shown in kidnaps, disappearances and femicide, especially among young people. Let’s pray for the victims, for liberation and life. Moreover, pray for the processes of peace in the country, for politicians that with wisdom will guide Mexico to a new time, without falling to militarism and repression.
- Pray for the four denominations where CE is present and serving: 1) Iglesia Nacional Presbiteriana (INPM); 2) Iglesia Nacional Presbiteriana Conservadora (INPCM); 3) Iglesia Cristiana Congregacional (ICCM); and 4) Iglesia Presbiteriana Asociada Reformada (IPAR).
- Pray for the UNSEC, the CE union of the INPM. For pastoral care to the wide field of their Presbyterial unions. That God will use their officers and will rise youth that will take care with faith in Christian principles the Mexican youth.
- Pray for the UNSIEC, ministry lead by adolescent endeavorers. That their dreams, projects and efforts will be blessed.
- Pray for the USSEC, union of the INPCM. For their projects towards children and youth.
- Pray for the USECCC, union of the ICCM. For their youth ministry and the camps; for the work that every SEC does in their local churches and that their ministry strengthens the life and mission of the whole Iglesia Cristiana Congregacional.
- Pray for the USSEC of the IPAR, for their conventions and their discipleship ministry..
For the CE in Guatemala
- Let’s pray for Guatemala and the neighboring countries in Central America. One of the problems that faces is poverty, situation that has made thousands of youth and families to leave their house and migrate. Let’s pray for the centro-america immigrants that today suffer because of the situation of their country and for anti-immigrant policies in the USA.
- Pray for the CE union of Guatemala (UNEC) and for the Iglesia Evangelica Nacional Presbiteriana (IENPG).
- Pray for the ministry of SEC in the urban areas, where mostly mixed people live, and the rural areas, where many indigenous brothers and sisters live. Pray for the development of the youth ministry in an intercultural perspective.
- Pray for the Presbyterial districts or unions of CE, for their ministry of pastoral care and education of the youth.
For the CE in USA
- Guide new staff involved with coaching churches and publicity for the ministry
- Recruitment of additional Godly board members
- The restructuring of the ministry
- Finalizing several resources that will guide churches in their ministry
- Growing the financial strength of the annual budget
For the CE in the Cayman Islands, and Guyana and other countries in the region.
Rev. Eliseo Vílchez-Blancas
WCEU VP Americas
Day 4: Pray for CE in Asia
Odisha state C.E. Union in India:
Boudh-Kandhamal district C.E. Union had started new C.E. societies at Paningia,Rotingia and R.podikia on 12/06/2017,11/06/2017 and 12/11/2017 respectively. Mr.P.N Pradhan board of trusty World C.E Union was present on 12/11/2017 at R.podikia .
About 20,000 New testaments distributed in book fairs during November and 1st week of December 2017 by bhubaneswer C.E Union in joint venture with The Gideon international bhubaneswar camp. This C.E Union had organized sports and spiritual competitions during 1st week of December and the prize distributed to the winners. The Leaders bhubaneswer C.E Union in association with Union church bhubaneswar distributed blankets to the poor and beggars who were sleeping on footpaths.
Cuttuck C.E Union had organized Christmas carol service on 11/12/2017 at Baptist Church Cuttuck. The C.E union also distributed cakes and clothes to the people of leprosy colony and disable centre at Cuttuck.
The undivided Puri district C.E Union and Boudh-Kndhamal C.E Union had organized one day revival meeting during 1st week of November at bahilipara and last week of December 2017 at Bakingia respectively.
Prayer requests for forth coming events in India:
- The 1st week of February 2018 will be observed as C.E prayer week in different C.E societies of C.E in North India.
- Pipili C.E society of undivided Puri district C.E Union will be celebrating Golden Jubilee during 9th to 11th March 2018.
- Biennial Convention of undivided Puri C.E Union will be held at Jatini during 11-to 13 May 2018.
- Bodh-Kandhmal district C. Union is organizing convention during15-17 of May 2018.
- 20-23 February 2018 – CE Leadership Academy – Shillong, India: Dave Coryell and Surendra Sahu as the Resource Persons. 50 Participants from India, Bhutan will participate in the Academy. Pray for travel mercy for all participants and resource persons and also for all the arrangements of the Academy.
- 17-19 October 2018: National Convention in Bilaspur, India.
- More than 300 participants expected to participate in the convention.
- Good number of CE members interested to attend the World CE Convention in San Diego in July 2018.
- Pray that all may be granted Visa to visit USA to attend the convention.
Pray for CE in South Korea:
- For God to continue growing CE in South Korea
- For God to use this year’s leadership to inspire youth to boldly seek the Lord
- For peace as turmoil continues with our brothers and sisters to the North
Pray for CE in Philippines:
- For God to strengthen CE in this country where it has just begun and spread it across this new territory for CE.
Rev. Surendra Sahu
WCEU VP Asi
Day 5: Pray for CE in Europe & The Middle East
In the prayer week we have one day focused on Europe and the Middle East. After receiving the Health Survey of the majority of the national unions we can give you some points to thank and several to pray for.
- We thank our Lord for a better communication with national unions than we had in the past.
- We thank our Lord for Connect Europe and the many young people we had during that convention.
- We pray for more participants in the future from different countries.
- We thank our Lord for the CE work that is going on in Germany with many professional workers and volunteers, in Austria, Romania, Hungary, Ireland, Russia, UK and Ireland.
- We pray for the missionary project, the CE of the Netherlands still support although they have a low amount of members. The storytellers in “Low Land” (country must be unknown) go to the villages and tell Bible stories to the people they meet.
- Germany asks for Inspiration in the area of prayer.
- Hungary asks for finding ways to involve young people and they are looking for new ways in and for CE in their country.
- The Romanian asked us to pray for them and their mission and diaconal work, at home and in Africa.
- Pray also for training materials, motivating young people, exchange program for young people (camps, conferences), support for these programs, regular annual meeting of European CE Leaders.
- Please pray for a new, devoted director, and for our Winter Camp, what takes places in February.
- In Lebanon endeavorers are involved in the work with refugees. Christians are a minority now.
- In UK they pray for samples of new literature to adapt to their circumstances and outreach strategies for encouraging churches to start new groups.
- We thank our Lord for the Irish members who are committed and dedicated, of course like many other endeavorers all over the world.
- Further they request prayer that more churches would be interested in starting CE Societies, and churches where CEs exist would make every effort to replace leaders as older folk retire. They request prayer that someone would be led to take on the role of extension co-ordinator to advertise CE more widely in churches of all denominations.
- The Scottish thank our Lord for fond memories of the part CE played in their lives, Nowadays there are no Leaders in regular meeting groups.
WCEU VP Europe & The Middle Eas
Day 6: Pray for CE in the Pacific
My Praises goes out to God for the great things that he is doing in our life from the Pacific region. We send our love to CE World family. We are excited as we get closer to our 2018 World Convention, a time of coming together in worship and prayer for the ministries that we are all sharing with others. I would like to ask for prayers for Hawaii as the alarms went off and the TV and radio said to take cover that a missile was headed for Hawaii and we had 15 minutes to take cover before impact. What do you think to do at that time?
Here was my thought I remember Noah in the Bible as it started to rain he ask the people to get in the boat to be saved from the flood.
Abraham asked God if there were 10 innocent people will he not destroy the city.
My prayer was the same; please Lord, if I promise to go and find more to come to You, would you give us more time. I believed God did.
I am still here. My plan and promise I must keep and spread the Gospel in a mighty way.
Blessings for Your helper in the Pacific Region
Rev Michael Maluhia Warren
Day 7: A Message from the WCEU General Secretary
Perspective. I recently invested a few days with a person in Alexandria, Egypt. Numerous people answered my questions about “Alex”. Almost everyone was surprised when I described Alex as such a huge metropolis. Alex ranks among the larger world’s cities with a population over twenty million. However, the Egyptian perspective sees Alex as small because Cairo lies three hours south. Cairo sprawls over a much great distance and holds over thirty million people. Perspective. My perspective saw Alex as enormous and bigger than any US city except for possibly New York. My experience dictates my perspective. The Egyptians, also held captive by their experience, shape their perspective based on comparison.
Consider people we read about in the Bible- what was Moses’ perspective when he stared at the Red Sea blocking the Israelites from safety, Joshua when he faced defeat at Ai, or Rahab when she was asked to hide and protect two spies from the soldiers of Jericho? Each of these people and countless more from scripture saw only a small part of what God was doing. God has the greatest perspective!
My goal at the close of this prayer week . . . provide Perspective! My position with CE allows me to gain a different perspective because of the people I meet and the places I visit. Many of you encounter God’s impact through your Christian Endeavor setting without recognizing God’s work around the globe. Hopefully the Vice President’s reports have helped open your eyes to the regional work we see God accomplishing as well as the prayer requests for God’s continued work. Ultimately, all of us need to seek God for the perspective only He can give us. Below I provide prayer victories and requests as we serve God’s great name and seek to understand His Perspective in 2018.
Victories: Let us praise the Lord together for the following.
- Launch of CE monthly prayer days. Each month’s first Thursday marks the day when Endeavorers from around the world give an attitude toward prayer and fasting. On this day, we remember this work and ask for God’s continued revelation of His will so CE can accurately participate in furthering the Kingdom.
- Launch of “Leadership Academies”- the first Leadership Academy that trains national and regional leaders in how CE works and can be spread to new churches, mentoring, Biblical Transformational Values, and other leadership skills, had its start in Nigeria. Gatherings for 2018 are planned for India, Lebanon and possibly Guatemala.
- Successful board meeting in Los Angeles where a new approach was taken to the agenda.
- Improvement from seven donors to over sixty when including those donating to the support my families raises for me to serve in this position.
- Increase from $2000 a year donated by national unions to CE World’s budget to over $11,000.
- News of CE’s initial spread to Argentina, Belize, Liberia, Micronesia and the Philippines.
- Core CE document translation began with Spanish and German in process.
Requests: Let us ask God to direct us and provide for us in the following areas.
- Planning and Preparation for Leadership Academies in 2019 and 2020. Initial discussion on what an Advanced Academy and Youth Academy model would look like and how all the Leadership Academy initiatives can be funded.
- God’s guidance on the preparations for the 28th CE World Convention in San Diego, California, USA July 25-29. Also, ask for God’s leading for the board meetings on July 24 and the Council meetings on July 25 that include the election of the new board and the acceptance of the strategic plan for the next quadrenium.
- Core CE document translation into all major language groupings we currently serve, as well as several we could impact in the future- French, Hungarian, Korean, Mandarin, Romanian, Russian.
- CE expansion into regions and denominations not currently impacted by CE in countries where CE exists.
- CE expansion into strategic regions where CE does not exist- heartland of Africa, more countries across Asia, Australia, numerous European countries as well as much of South America and North America.
- Financial provision to balance the CE World budget and then begin raising additional funds for increased leadership training; Vice President, President, and General Secretary travel; and infrastructure development.
Dr. Dave Coryell
WCEU General Secretary